Egg Salad

March 27, 2011

DSC_2956

I know. Possible overkill with the pickles. But bread and butter pickles are not something that we don’t have over here in cornichon-land, so when I can get my hands on them, I load them up on everything I can, including Mom’s egg salad sandwiches.

I don’t know why there are no egg salad sandwiches in France. Here, in the most egg-loving place I’ve ever visited, where eggs are routinely added to pizzas; tops of sandwiches (the Croque Madame is the most famous); and egg-based tarts, both small and large, are a boulangerie staple, there’s nothing even close to an egg salad. Or a deviled egg, even.

I don’t know how the Frenchies missed this one. You’ve got eggs, without which there would be no quiche. No crème brulée. No soufflé. No mousse. Plus, two of the country’s other national obsessions – mayonnaise and mustard.

It seems so obvious. Eggs, mayo, mustard. Mix it all up, and you’re halfway to egg salad.

The magic of this seemingly benign combination is something that my mom is all too familiar with. She makes incredible egg salad sandwiches – and with extra pickle relish, too, per my request – which I never seem to tire of.

Because she lives about a half-hour from the big city, on this last visit, Mom and I were all-too-often looking at five o’clock without a clue about dinner, and certainly not wanting to make the long drive to and from the Albertson’s.

Which is where the egg salad sandwiches came in.

It became a running joke. Mom and I would look at each other, glance at the clock on the wall, and one of us would say, “Egg salad sandwiches?”

But I don’t want y’all to think that we got stuck in some sort of dull, predictable routine. Sometimes we’d get creative and roll our egg salad up in tortillas.

Egg Salad

This is my mom’s recipe for egg salad, which she’s been making for years. The only difference between hers and mine is that I roughly chop the eggs. “I grate the eggs,” Mom says. “I used to chop them but I do them now this way because it’s quicker. But you can do whatever you want to do.”

It’s also the basis for Mom’s picnic staple: “I make deviled eggs the same way — it’s just yolks mashed up with all of the same ingredients. This is the way my mother did it and I like it. I want it to taste like it did when I was growing up.”

INGREDIENTS

6 jumbo eggs
2 tablespoons pickle relish, drained
¼ cup Hellman’s mayo
1 teaspoon mustard
pinch cayenne
pinch salt
pinch pepper

1. Put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water by 2 inches, and put on the stove over medium-high heat. When the water boils, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and put on the timer for 10 minutes. Carefully pour off the hot water, then put the pot in the sink and let cold water run over the eggs until they’re cool enough to peel. Peel the eggs and grate them into a bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, mix everything else together and then fold into the eggs. Taste for seasonings. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, at least, before serving. Spread generously over grainy toast — with or without big fat pickles.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ma.gnolia
  • StumbleUpon
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Ping.fm
  • Print this article!
  • Reddit
  • TwitThis

{ 1 trackback }

Flat Spinach Enchiladas with Ancho Sauce
April 3, 2011 at 8:12 AM

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Ernst D. Hill March 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Looks and sounds very yummy.

Jane Sowers March 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Yummy. I love egg salad and will definitely try this version. I have been trying lots of your other recipes, and all have turned out favorably. From Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins, to Oatmeal cookies, Winter Vegetables with Barley and more. Thank you for sharing great food and stories. I love it all. BTW, is it sweet relish/pickles or dill that you prefer with your egg salad?

epierce March 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Hi Jane – I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were. Good to know you’ve been in the kitchen! I love all pickles, but the sweet pickle relish is what Mom and I love in the egg salad. I’ve promised myself that I’m going to try this with Frenchy cornichons, just to see how it works…I’m sure I’ll love that version, too. xo ellise

Judie byrd March 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Hi Ellise,
Sweet or dill relish in your egg salad?
Fun read, thanks!
Judie

epierce March 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Judie: There’s a dill relish? Seriously? I think that we only have sweet in Texas. I’ve only made it with sweet, but now I want to try with dill! Let me know how it works out, either way, and thanks so much for stopping by!

Stephanie March 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

When I served my egg loving, French husband my egg salad he refused to even take a bite. He is usually a good sport, but he said he could not bear to put it in his mouth.
The French have very precise notions about what goes with what and eggs mixed with mayo on toast is not on their acceptable list of food combinations I suppose.

lisaiscooking March 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I love egg salad! I put chopped cornichons in mine. Or pickled jalapeno, or both. Can’t believe the French have overlooked this fine concoction and deviled eggs.

Camille March 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

What about oeufs mimosa? The ones I’ve had have been very much like deviled eggs. Although I definitely get funny looks when I make myself eggs salad for lunch at work. :)

Steff @ The Kitchen Trials March 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Wait. Back up. The French don’t have deviled eggs or egg salad? Huh… Poor things. Their loss, I’m glad we do.

In other news, I love pickles, but when I don’t have relish or I’m too lazy to chop up a pickle myself, I use my mom’s chow-chow instead.

epierce March 31, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Steff: I KNOW. Can you imagine? More egg salad for us! And you better stop it with the chow-chow. I don’t have to tell you that the Frenchies don’t know about that either, do I? ;)

Russell April 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I am such a fan of Bread and Butter pickles, it’s hard to imagine over-kill!