Sundried Tomato Pesto Palmiers

July 15, 2011

palmiers

What better reason to jump back on board the Twitter #LetsLunch bus than with champagne?

Sadly, I missed our last gathering (pies), but when I saw that champagne nibbles were on the list for July, to celebrate our 2nd birthday (already?!), I had to join in.

Two years since our round-the-world BLTs, and Cheryl Tan upstaging us all with her lattice-bacon layer (a stroke of genius, by the way). Since then, our group has grown, and we’re still lunching together. I love it.

Anyway, I’m delighted to share with y’all the easiest recipe in the world – and one that’ll impress your friends. When they ask you what these are, you can casually say, “Oh, palmiers,” like they’re canned biscuits or something.

Which they practically are. The recipe’s so easy, there’s almost nothing to write down. I bought some (1) all-butter puff pastry (which you should be able to find in your freezer section in the U.S.), and smeared some (2)  sundried tomato pesto (also store bought – you may also use pesto or tapenade), and rolled it up to make these little bite-size French-inspired snacks. Before I cut them (because the dough was getting warm quickly), I put the rolls in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and then slicing was a snap.

A snap, I tell you. Fifteen minutes in a 400°F oven, and that’s it.

Is that a champagne cork I just heard?

Here’s what the rest of the gang made for the festive occasion. Bon anniversaire, everyone.

ShowFoodChef’s Purple Peruvian Potato Chips

Caitlin Shetterly’s Gruyere Lace Cookies

A Tiger in the Kitchen’s Cheddar-Pecan Crisps

Zest Bakery’s Bacon, Apple and Swiss Quiche

The Taste of Oregon’s Salmon Tartare

Chez Us’ Home-Cured Copper-River Salmon

Be A Wok Star’s Grilled Hoisin Pork Shoulder (and more)

Dreaming of Pots and Pans’ Salmon Bites

GeoKaren’s Goat-Cheese Filled Parmesan Cups

Free Range Cookies’ Cheese Straw Crackers

Monday Morning Book Club’s Salmon Tartare

The Bubbly Girl’s Parmesan Toasts

Hot Curries and Cold Beer’s Samosa-Shingara Pies

The Kitchen Trials’ Stuffed Figs, Not Parmesan Crackers and Spicy, Cheesy Pecans

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ma.gnolia
  • StumbleUpon
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Ping.fm
  • Print this article!
  • Reddit
  • TwitThis

{ 1 trackback }

Cheese straw crackers
January 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

lisaiscooking July 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I love savory palmiers! And champagne for that matter. I can’t believe the Let’s Lunch group is two years old. Happy birthday to Let’s Lunch!

A Tiger in the Kitchen July 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

You know, I’ve always been too intimidated to try making palmiers because they’re so delicious and delicate, I feel I’ll just screw it up! These look so easy and good though…thanks for sharing! And happy anniversary! What a fun beginning that was….bacon!

Rashda/SpiceBites July 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I love easy & pretty & yummy :) Will definitely try this out with the kidlets!

Salut!

Chez Us July 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

*click * click * I did hear that cork a popping! Happy 2 year anniversary!

I have always wanted to make palmiers but never did … too labor intensive. Now, you have wowed me … must try!!

The Taste of Oregon July 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I love palmiers but have never had any savory ones. These look delicious!

Maureen July 16, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Okay I’m showing I have no class… I have never had a savory palmier.

oh wait, I’m not alone.. The Taste of Oregon hasn’t either. I’m redeemed!

Can’t wait to try these. What a great thing to have when guests arrive.

Eleanor Hoh July 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Thanks for all the great tips as I’m a non-baker and new to #LetsLunch. Happy 2nd.

Cathy/ShowFoodChef July 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I’m finally catching up here, one of those weeks…you know. I’ve never visited your blog without smiling – always love your ideas. I’ve made the cliche cinnamon palmiers with the puff pastry and never thought about how great savory ones would be. Excellent, and I think I could put this together even after I get a head start on the champagne before the guests arrive :D. Glad to be a part of LetsLunch from the beginning with you and Cheryl’s awesome idea. {{{Clink}}}}}

Heather @ Sweet Sins July 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I just found your blog and I don’t know how I did not find this sooner! I am a Southern California girl that relocated to Southern Oklahoma (Ardmore, about 40 minutes North of Denton, TX) and I have a huge love for Paris and French cooking! I have been dying to get to Paris since I was about 7! I love reading your stories and I just wanted to gush a bit! Happy cooking and YUM to the palmiers! I am making some Arugula pesto tonight I bet that would be good on some of these too!

epierce July 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Heather – I know Ardmore, Oklahoma quite well – it’s where my father’s from and my grandparents lived there and we visited nearly every weekend when I was growing up. What a small world! xo

Lindsey August 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM

which puff pastry did you get from the French supermarket? Just the stuff for tartes?

Cowgirl Chef August 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Lindsey – Yes, just the plain old butter puff pastry that you can get anywhere. I love being able to say that. ;)

Lindsey August 26, 2011 at 2:33 AM