Carrot-Green Chile Hummus

November 10, 2012

DSC_2267

I had these extra already grated carrots in my fridge, leftover from a carrot cake bake-a-thon, and saw something called “carrot hummus” in one of my French cooking magazines, and I thought, what a fantastic idea!

And so timely, right?

So off I went to the stinky Franprix for a small can of cannellini beans, which was all I needed, turns out, to make one of the easiest and best batches of hummus I’ve ever thrown together. I had some green chile leftover from I can’t remember what, and tossed them in there, too, because with cilantro and a bit of cumin already in the mix, this just seemed to make sense.

Would be better, naturallement, with fresh roasted Hatch. But I’m sure you already knew that.

Now I’m wondering what other things I can mix into hummus, all sneaky-like, for those who don’t like certain things. I may just start calling this “bean dip,” and leave it at that.

Fritos, anyone?

Carrot-Green Chile Hummus

Makes about 2 cups

• 1 cup of finely chopped or grated carrots
  • 1 14-ounce/400 gram can of canellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • ½ teaspoon of cumin
  • a handful of cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped green chile (use freshly roasted Hatch green chiles if you can get your hands on them)
  • ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cayenne (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon of lime juice
  • a pinch of salt

Toss everything into your small food processor and pulse till it’s a nice smooth puree. Let rest for an hour or so before serving.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

TraceyM November 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Can you tell me where you are finding the green chilis? I am in England and can’t find them anywhere! Our fresh chilis in the grocery store come marked “Chilis- medium” or “Chilis- mild”. And there is usually an assortment of peppers in there. You never know what you are getting. I have never found the easy, canned chilis here.
But we CAN find Fritos over here on the rare occassion.
Thanks!

Cowgirl Chef November 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Tracy, I bring them back to Paris from Texas! I don’t think you can find them in Paris, but I’d experiment with the fresh chills in the grocery store if I were you – just roast them as you would with red peppers, peel off the skins, and chop them up. Who knows? They might be fabulous! And lucky you with your Fritos!

David Settino Scott (@scottdavene) November 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I agree with you that fresh roasted New Mexico Green Chile would be optimum, however, if you can’t easily find any at your local grocery, you might try using Powdered New Mexico Green Chili. I always get my chili from the Chimayo Chile Brothers. New Mexico Chile Rules! If you want to try some of the best, which actually comes from a small valley in New Mexico, get some Capsicum Annum Chimayo. You can find it here: http://www.chimayochilebros.com/shop

Debbie November 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Great idea, I live in Paris and we can’t find those peppers. I am going to try your method.

Becky November 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Elise, enjoyed your class at Central Mkt in Southlake last Friday! What a blast! Thanks for stopping by and whipping up some tasty vittles for us. Loved the sweet potato soup and am adding some crispy pancetta to the batch I’ll be making! Hope you enjoy your time back in the Lone Star state!

Miki January 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I just made my second batch of this hummus, using the last of my frozen Hatch green chilies from my summer stash. Sooooo good. Ate the first batch in a few days for lunch and dinner. I have been on a hummus kick since November when I began a serious, dedicated plant-strong way of eating. Regular hummus (with extra lemon and garlic), Thai-Pumpkin Hummus, Green Olive Hummus, Happy Carrot Hummus . . . and this version rounds out the group. It is my favorite so far, having that hummus flavor with a familiar southwestern flair. I guess my next batch will be with canned Hatch chilies until I can replenish my stash this coming August. Thanks for the recipe!