Stuff I Heart
Just finished a second round of sold-out cooking classes at Central Market (yay!) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I’m so happy to be back.
Land of tacos and drive-through-and-get-whatever-you-want, I’m heeeere!
I know you’ve heard this song-and-dance before, but I’ve been on the move more than in the kitchen lately, so I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite things right now…
1. Blue skies! (see above photo)
2. The new duty-free area at CDG in Paris. Hermès, Ladurée, and a champagne and oyster bar in the middle of it all. I didn’t buy a thing, but it’s a heck of a lot prettier than what it used to be. Now, if I could just get a decent coffee…
3. The Logitech keyboard for my new iPad. Light enough to slip into my iPad case, and tactile enough for me to feel like I’m typing on a real keyboard, I’m loving the sense of having a mini me of my computer that’ll fit in my purse, and that I can take with me everywhere.
4. My new A.P.C. jeans. Japanese denim and a perfect fit. No crazy stretchy anything. No zippers at the ankles. No fake rips, tears, or white streaks on the legs. These come stiff, dark, and made of a denim that’s reminiscent of another time. Double hearts.
6. Dirty ballet slipper pink cashmere poncho from Crimson in Paris. There are pinks and there are pinks. This is the only shade that I’ll wear, and every time I slip this on, I’m reminded of my duct-taped slippers, tendus, and on a good day, double pirouettes. Love that these ponchos — so far, I’ve got two — can be worn about a dozen different ways, including wrapped and twisted as a scarf on blustery days.
7. My new Kindle. This is #2, and it’s not the (even cooler) backlit one that my mom just bought, but it’s super-light and I love its easy portability. Books I’ve read lately that I’d like to pass on: Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Why Be Happy When you Can Be Normal by Jeanette Winterson, and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I’m about to dive into Swimming Home by Deborah Levy, and can’t wait for Alice Munro’s new book of short stories to arrive.
8. Breakfast taos at Tacos Y Mas in Dalas. I’ve driven past this cheery red and white striped box of a place on the corner of Greenville and Ross for years, but I’ll never make that mistake again. Not only do they serve breakfast tacos all day (I never eat breakfast tacos for breakfast; always for lunch or dinner), they’re things of beauty and deliciousness: scrambled eggs with crisp potatoes, melted cheddar, fresh pico, and a side of salsa verde with just the right amount of heat. I can’t wait to go back.
9. My new vintage cowgirl boots. My friend Linda Wright (aka Cashmere Cowgirl, also see #6 above) gave me these last week when I met her for tea. Gorgeous chocolate browns, circa 1950 square toes, I wore these on the plane back to Texas and have hardly had them off.
10. Being able to talk to my friends without a seven-hour time difference. How nice it is to be home.